Friday 6 May 2011

Escapism: Astral Projection

For this section of my project, I explored the idea of Astral Projection. This involves a person willingly entering a state where their mind leaves their body, allowing them to have an out of body experience. I felt this was relevant to the topic of escapism as it involves escaping from the body.
 This photo was created using multiple layers, a variety of zoomed shots and a bit of playing layer opacity tools. I've been told it created an eerie effect, almost as if the model is projecting towards you.

 In this image I combined a photo of my model with a free sky replacement image [sourced from http://edc.education.ed.ac.uk]. I made it with the intention of expressing the feeling of floating and also the feeling of one's "aura" extending out. This is what the black areas extending from the model represent.
 This image, inspired by Francesa Woodman was intended with the creation of an eerie appearance where the figure in the photo appeared disconnected and paranormal. This would also relate to escapism as some people relate to astral projection as "becoming a ghost".
This image was intended to express the astral projection in  progress. Notice the figure lying down has her eyes closed and is completely opaque while the figure sitting up has her eyes open and is semi-transparent. This is how I intended to show that the girl's conciousness has escaped from her physical body.

No comments:

Post a Comment